Monday, April 30, 2012

A Holy Connection To Jesus And Savings


Thrift stores, consignment shops, donation bins, walk-in-closets,
they all invite me in with a “WOO LAWD!”
type of welcome
and an itchy pseudo-crotchless sorta smile,
that feels good at first,
then a little weird,
but then...
Holy crap, is this shirt only 50 cents?”
Nice.”
I feel an almost spiritual connection to thrift stores.
As if I'm the lone wooden toggle on their corduroy pants.
As if I'm the only thing separating them from utter pants-less-ness.

When I walk into a thrift store I feel like I should have been born
there every single time, like I'm a virgin baby plucked out of a hamper of dusty grandpa coats.

I was born to shop with frugality, I was made to comb these aisles,
I was fabricated to tap into these sales, just look at these platform shoes!
God damn! So fresh!
I mean they'll fit,
they just need some tissue paper in the front,
and the back, but that's okay,
my foot will be encased in softness-
like an angel's whisper between my toes,
and that's a good thing!

What's not, however, are the fickle hands
of time on a glass door
who say,
Better luck next time,”
or
Sorry we're closed,
but I accept these like
lover's quirks and have grown
to admire them even,
as the fastidious treasure hunter does
who always has his eyes on the prize.

Your only open from 9:00 – 9:25?”
I ask Sister McGinty,
Jesus himself couldn't make this unholy schedule!”
I beg the lord, the almighty in heaven, somebody bless me with a workable timeframe!”
Grant me extra time so that I may buy these sequin pants you have!”
So that I may buy them and walk in the garden of their splendor!”
Can I get an amen, SISTAH MCGINTY!”

Well,” she replies
while handing me the pants,
Jesus wasn't no punk.”
 












No comments:

Post a Comment