Thursday, April 26, 2012

Arcade Adventure


Though it's something that seems antiquated,
out of date, and trite, I took a trip to
an arcade last week and it was...
well, it was totally rad.

I'm eternally infatuated with arcades,
with all those flashing lights.
It's a place that really speaks
to me, using words like
"Bleep," and "Bloop,"
to communicate.
"Oh, you had me had "Bleep Bloop Bloop Bleep,"
video arcade,
"Let's go back to my place and you can feed me crullers."

They're such a throwback,
these digital dungeons,
like real-life time machines.
They take you to a time long ago,
a mystical era, the 80's,
to a time that I wasn't
even around to experience,
but I can only assume was...
well, totally rad.

Nostalgia runs rampant at these dimly lit play stations,
the few that survive at least,
and they pulsate with passion,
standing like castle sentries
against the vast array of couch potato
mentalities that suggest basement cave-dwelling
is a better way to spend an afternoon.
What are you thinking?
Public cave-dwelling exists in arcades!
At least it did!
Why does everyone have to so solitary now?
So alone? Can't they share? Can't they be passionate in a public setting?
Not just some internet alias over a headset in Cambodia?

Maybe that's why arcades went out of style. Cambodia.
I pondered the fate of the mystical video arcade a lot during
my trip last week, and as I passed through the automatic doors on the way out,
pit-stains aglow, I think I'd figured it out.
In essence, the reason is, Xbox is just...
well, it's just totally rad.

 



























No comments:

Post a Comment